[ilds] Waugh Panel - Univ of Texas

Marc Piel marc at marcpiel.fr
Thu Jan 7 17:27:45 PST 2016

Surely much of his prose is pure poetry!!
Marc

Envoyé de mon iPad

Le 7 janv. 2016 à 20:06, Bruce Redwine <bredwine1968 at gmail.com> a écrit :

No, not like “Good Lord Nelson,” more like some of the poems in The Ikons (1967) and Vega (1973).  Durrell was quite versatile.  He could be funny or oracular.  It’s useful to start with Peter Porter’s collection of Durrell’s Selected Poems (Faber, 2006).  Porter considers “Loeb’s Horace” a “great achievement” and concludes by calling Durrell “one of the best [poets] of the past hundred years.”  High praise from a fellow poet.  Unfortunately few share this view.

Bruce