[ilds] Death as Reality

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:57:26 PST 2016

I append Richard Pine’s comment below.  I agree with James Gifford that death is one of Durrell’s major concerns.  I would argue that death in Durrell takes the form of suicide, his own in particular.  Ian MacNiven at OMG in Vancouver had a telling anecdote about driving with him in Provence.  Durrell would point to a tree and say something to the effect, “Shall I drive into that one?”  As to Catholics dismissing death because of belief in the Hereafter, I don’t believe it.  I am a Catholic, and death’s reality is indisputable, unless you’re a child and think yourself immortal.  As Wordsworth wrote, “Nothing was more difficult for me in childhood than to admit the notion of death as a state applicable to my own being.”  He grew up and changed his mind, however much he tried to compensate.  Read the ode on “Intimations of Immortality.”  It’s not convincing.  In Durrell, death is omnipresent.

Bruce