[ilds] Phoneyness and other beasts

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 19 09:11:21 PST 2015

I had to look up Aleister Crowley’s Abbey of Thelma in Wikipedia.  Thanks, James.  The abbey, a real place, is indeed in Cefalù, which is also the original title of Durrell’s book, and a whole lot of goings-on went on there, sexual and mystical.  An obvious connection.  David Green’s point is well taken about the importance of The Dark Labyrinth (DL) and its direct relevance to Lawrence Durrell (LD).  Surely there’s no coincidence that DL and LD are mirror reflections, and we all know the importance of mirrors in Durrell’s work.  I think Durrell got lost in his own personal labyrinth.  He may have hope to extricate himself from the maze and end up atop some mountain Shangri-La, but he never succeeded.  So, the Quintet ends by a return to the cave.

Bruce