[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 104, Issue 15_Message 5_David Green

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 22:05:32 PST 2015

I am inclined to take note of this positive view about Durrell's writing
and David's expression about the writing as:

" . . a form of truth if you like, with artistic embellishment or omission
as suited his purpose . . "

I have only recently come across Linda Radhidi's publication,
'(Re)constructing Reality, Complexity in Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria
Quartet', 2005, Peter Lang. Inc., New York. (Studies in Twentieth-Century
British Literature.)

Starting right from the significant opening lines of Justine, Linda has
applied a linguistic model to analyse phrases in each of the four novels of
the Quartet, and describe the purpose and effect of Durrell's specific
selection of words.

This close analysis - or dissection if you like - recreates the writer's
mood, his reflections about his experience of Alexandria, his perceptions
about the people and events in the city and his own relationship with them.

In an introductory chapter the book also places the Quartet in the context
of Durrell's professed philosophical references, including relativity and
Groddeck's psychological framework. Linda has referred to critical comments
on Durrell and examined the exploration of reality in the novels of the
Quartet.

It is very likely that this perfunctory  summary of Linda Rashidi's book is
superfluous and that many on the ILDS Forum are familiar with the
publication. But  I felt I should draw attention to this work, and David's
post, referring to the development of Durrell's writing in his successive
books, provided me with a tenuous context against which to do so!

Personally I find it significant because of its focus on the language of
Durrell which in my opinion - echoed I think in some of the critical
writing - drives the creation in the novels of the Quartet.

Sumantra
Message: 5