[ilds] Seems

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:38:11 PST 2015

On 2015-12-16 10:58 AM, Kennedy Gammage wrote:
> But were his
> plays good? Not compared to Stoppard.
> Maybe compared to Eliot?

For the 2012 London conference, Mark Morris had an excellent
presentation on the plays as lead up to a discussion of the opera
setting of Sappho.  His sense was that they plays needed major cuts to
work on the boards.  There were some productions, including a review he
dug up from Edinburgh.

> Recent Nobel Prize winners in Literature are from unexpected places all
> over the world. We all know Durrell wanted that prize - and possibly
> deserved it. But I'm not sure I've seen an analysis of his oeuvre
> compared with the recent winners. If such an article appeared in the NY
> Review of Books I would read it avidly.

I think the natural comparison for recent winners would be to Doris
Lessing.  They're of a generation, and there are good reasons for
putting their works side by side -- Joe Boone has an excellent
comparison of the Quartet to the Golden Notebook in his book /Libidinal
Currents: Sexuality and the Shaping of Modernism/.  I've taught the two
books together before as well, and students certainly found bridges
across them...

The political commitments are distinct, but they share Jungian
interests, shifting "selves" across the texts, and well, they're both
Quartets in a sense too...

Now back to exams week!

Best,