[ilds] Seems

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:58:58 PST 2015

Quoting Hamlet, Bruce just reminded me of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are
Dead. Wanted to ask Bruce about Acte, Durrell's second play, which he
recently purchased at a local bookstore: have you read it yet? What did you
think? It's natural for a writer of Durrell's gifts to want to write in
almost every genre - you want to conquer the world! But were his plays
good? Not compared to Stoppard. Maybe compared to Eliot?

Recent Nobel Prize winners in Literature are from unexpected places all
over the world. We all know Durrell wanted that prize - and possibly
deserved it. But I'm not sure I've seen an analysis of his oeuvre compared
with the recent winners. If such an article appeared in the NY Review of
Books I would read it avidly.

Thanks - Ken