[ilds] Seems

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 16 08:31:37 PST 2015

Seems, madam?  Nay, it is.  I know not ‘seems.’

—Hamlet

He wondered if perhaps all great artists, from whose company he reluctantly excluded himself, were not absolutely revolting as human beings.  Dostoevsky writing about Christian meekness while he browbeat his menservants, Lawrence saying nasty things about one when one wasn’t there … It was very odd.

—Dark Labyrinth, p. 258

I guess I’m one of those deceiving myself.  Richard Pine’s objection to “fraud” as anything special may be true in some existential sense, akin to Hamlet’s problem with “seems,” but this is not the moral force of Graecen’s remark.  He clearly censures duplicitous behavior, and I take that as Durrell talking about himself, as “odd” as that may seem.

Bruce