[ilds] Remembering Lawrence Durrell, Predictor of our Postmodern World_By Peter Pomerantsev 6/25/2012

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 10:24:03 PST 2015

Hi Bruce,

We might have to just disagree on this one.  In the ongoing development
of postcolonial / decolonization studies, Said's shift was away from the
primarily Marxist understandings brought to African decolonization
through Fanon, Césaire, et al. by bringing in Foucault, institutions,
and reorienting attention to Egypt and the Middle East.  Despite the
earlier historical decolonization of India, the discussion in Western
critical studies followed after.  I don't know if we can blame him too
much for not covering it earlier.

In a sense, this is why I've argued Said isn't necessarily helpful in
reading Durrell (even though I use him for other work often).  The
project of Orientalism (as a discipline) relies on claims to veracity
that Durrell's works consistently disrupt.  In a sense, it's like the
discourses of indigeneity that conflict with the materialist orientation
of Marxist work on decolonization, even though there are an increasing
number of projects putting those two things together.

I also think that looking back to /Pied Piper/ changes how we see the
later works.  For instance, one of Manzalaoui's complaints against
Durrell (pre-Said) is that he uses Urdu corruptions of Arabic in the
Quartet -- knowing that he draws on rudimentary Urdu in that first novel
gives a rationale for why.  The in-between-ness (a real word?) of Walsh
in that novel explains why we'd have Darley's Irishness later, which
buffers him from the Imperial project just as Walsh's Anglo-Indian
identity shelter (and excludes) him.

Best,
James