[ilds] Remembering Lawrence Durrell, Predictor of our Postmodern World_By Peter Pomerantsev 6/25/2012

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 09:23:40 PST 2015

James, yes.  But it’s precisely Said’s portrayal of “Orientalism” as a scholarly discipline that I strenuously object to.  Said doesn’t discuss India in detail (he admits that); his emphasis is on Egypt and the Near East.  His clear implication is that the Indian Civil Service was just another example of a Western power-grab in an occupied country.  I don’t see this.  As I’ve said before, he overstates his argument and ignores contrary evidence.  I think Said’s argument borders on the paranoid.

Bruce