[ilds] Remembering Lawrence Durrell, Predictor of our Postmodern World_By Peter Pomerantsev 6/25/2012

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 09:03:11 PST 2015

It’s probably hard for us in the 21st century to appreciate, but the Brits in India—the “Anglo-Indians” or the “Anglo-Irish” (if correct)—were often big racists.  The historian Niall Ferguson (a Scot educated at Oxford [DPhil]) has written about this in Empire (2002).  He describes how the Brits in the 19th century and early 20th, as a rule, believed in the superiority of the Anglo-Saxon race and its “God-given right” to rule the world under the auspices of the “British Empire.”  Ferguson, however, sharply distinguishes between the British Civil Service in India (relatively few in number, perhaps a thousand) and the British missionary and mercantile class (the great majority of the colonials).  The former (usually recruited from Oxbridge) he admires for its rigorous requirements of service (e.g., a knowledge of Hindi was necessary) and its respect for Indian culture.  The latter he abhors for its attempts to convert, reform, and exploit “the heathen.”  Given this pervasive culture among the Anglo-Indians, it’s quite remarkable that Lawrence Durrell identified with and honored the land of his birth.  I would add that Edward W. Said does not make any such distinction in his Orientalism (1978) and lumps Western attitudes under the latter class.

Bruce