[ilds] Alcoholism

david wilde wilded at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:08:10 PST 2015

My apologies for giving the 'wrong' citation.  It should have been:

"In Arthurian legend the Fisher King, or the Wounded King, is the last in a long line charged with keeping the Holy Grail. Versions of his story vary widely, but he is always wounded in the legs or groin
 and incapable of moving on his own. In the Fisher King legends, he
becomes impotent and unable to perform his task himself, and he also
becomes unable to father or support a next generation to carry on after
his death. His kingdom suffers as he does, his impotence affecting the fertility of the land and reducing it to a barren wasteland. All he is able to do is fish in the river near his castle, Corbenic,
 and wait for someone who might be able to heal him. Healing involves
the expectation of the use of magic. Knights travel from many lands to
heal the Fisher King, but only the chosen can accomplish the feat. This
is Percival in earlier stories; in later versions, he is joined by Galahad and Bors.

Many works have two wounded "Grail Kings" who live in the same
castle, a father and son (or grandfather and grandson). The more
seriously wounded father stays in the castle, sustained by the Grail
alone, while the more active son can meet with guests and go fishing.
For the purposes of clarity in the remainder of this article, where both
 appear, the father will be called the Wounded King, the son the Fisher
King."