[ilds] Alcoholism

david wilde wilded at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 1 08:46:24 PST 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_King
From: bredwine1968 at gmail.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 07:31:32 -0800
To: james.d.gifford at gmail.com; ilds at lists.uvic.ca
CC: bredwine1968 at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [ilds] Alcoholism

I believe James is referring to Carol Peirce’s “A Fellowship in Time:  Durrell, Eliot, and the Quest of the Grail,” in Lawrence Durrell:  Comprehending the Whole, ed. J. R. Raper, M. L. Encore, and P. M. Bynum (Columbia:  U of Missouri P, 1995):  70-81.  Good essay.  A Northrup Frye approach, Peirce discusses Durrell and the “Grail-quest” in the context of Eliot’s Waste Land and the Four Quartets.  She does not mention, however, Parsifal, the wound, and von Eschenbach.  Personally, I doubt Durrell intended the allusion, although possible.
Bruce

On Nov 29, 2015, at 12:10 PM, James Gifford <james.d.gifford at gmail.com> wrote:Hello all,

In haste before a book launch tonight...

I've always struggled a bit over the mythical elements of the Quartet. In one sense, gesturing to the Fisher King goes to the roots of Durrell's kinship with the High Modernists, and I see a lot of struggle with Eliot's influence across the books of the Quartet (discussed on this listserv in the past as well).  Carol Peirce probably did more to elucidate that side of things than anyone else.

At the same time, we can't forget that "sex" also means gender, and the books had the "bisexual love" modified to "modern love" late in the game, and the continuation of the epigram from Freud in his letters to Fliess for /Justine/ reads "As for bisexuality, I'm sure you are right."

Wounded in one's sex nicely carries across all those potential meanings, linking the Fisher King to bisexuality, to physical traumas -- all are key to the Quartet, and Durrell seems to have learned his lesson from the "newly god-like" Keats emerging from his shower: Negative Capability (in the real Keats' sense of the term).

Best,
James