[ilds] Alcoholism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:31:32 PST 2015

I believe James is referring to Carol Peirce’s “A Fellowship in Time:  Durrell, Eliot, and the Quest of the Grail,” in Lawrence Durrell:  Comprehending the Whole, ed. J. R. Raper, M. L. Encore, and P. M. Bynum (Columbia:  U of Missouri P, 1995):  70-81.  Good essay.  A Northrup Frye approach, Peirce discusses Durrell and the “Grail-quest” in the context of Eliot’s Waste Land and the Four Quartets.  She does not mention, however, Parsifal, the wound, and von Eschenbach.  Personally, I doubt Durrell intended the allusion, although possible.

Bruce