[ilds] Alcoholism

Rick Schoff frederick.schoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 13:20:49 PST 2015

I too have often wondered about the striking phrase "deeply wounded in
one's sex." Before drawing any conclusion, I chalked its inscrutability in
part to the limits of what one could say in print back in that era.

My original curiosity about the use of alcohol - I had in mind its property
of being a depressant, and also its tendency to potentially set fire to the
more primitive aspects of personality. Someone's comment about it being an
antidote to the boredom LD professed made sense. Thinking back to Darley's
(and Blanford's) ineffectuality, in my own reads I had made the assumption
LD was making fun of himself and a certain Britishness. As always, this
begs the question of an author's intent versus the effects his writing
creates, the conscious versus the unconscious aspects, where in lies the
mystery and the magic.