[ilds] Alcoholism

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 26 12:25:05 PST 2015

I am pleased you think so, William. None of those sayings were included to be glib.
Highly intelligent and creative people, eg Durrell , can often find life disappointing, boring and most people dull. Tedium vitae, ennui - call it what you will. I believe Durrell drank for this reason and for all the usual reasons. But there was with him a deliberate drunkenness, perhaps a revolt against modern times as well a the desire for 'creative madness'. After the second war, the old order changeth, giving place to knew: by breakfast serials and soft drinks appeared, car driven urbanisation began destroying old landscapes. In Reflections, Gideon rants against Coca Cola. A new Puritanism flowed out of America like a vast river, the effects of which continue to be felt today. Durrell's Provençal drinking style was in part a revolt against this. Look too at how his last great set of novels Q5 hearkens back to an older world just as Caesars Vast Ghost is a tribute to the old south. I think for Larry, happiness, the right way of living were in a literal and metaphysical sense in the past. Alcohol helped him cope with present and maybe too, the future.

David

Sent from my iPad