[ilds] Alcoholism

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 25 22:33:09 PST 2015

Ah, alcohol, my favourite subject. Well, one of them. Marc Piel  is right. There is big difference between sipping on the wine and hitting the whiskey. Two and a half bottles of wine taken over a long day - Durrell started about 10am - will not cause drunkenness in a seasoned drinker as Durrell was and was a level of daily consumption not uncommon in Provence then and indeed now. But if you put the Vieux Marc, a strong spirit, on top of this things get ugly and from my research, this is when lord Larry could become an ugly drunk as Sappho and others attest. Durrell lived in age of heavy drinking and smoking which in our increasingly sanitised, health conscious world is hard to imagine. It may be he did not stand out all that much among his own set. Ok, a toper is a big drinker, not necessarily a drunkard. There an element of the heroic about it with the Viking God Thor described as a mighty eater and toper. As to the cliche of the alcoholic writer; many are alcoholics, some are writers, others builders labourers, some academics or school teachers and others even leaders of nations. What makes people alcoholics, and I think Durrell was one all his adult life, is not easy to answer but in terra Australis we have a few sayings: beer makes you feel the way you should feel without beer, I drink to make other people interesting, a day without wine is a day without sunshine, the purpose of wine is to bring happiness to man - and so on. Durrell was a pisspot, his brother was worse but not violent. Larry was ok on the wine but when got seriously onto to hard stuff there was often, as the Irish say, a fight in every bottle.

David Whitewine - Richmond Grove Chardonnay.

Sent from my iPad