[ilds] Alcoholism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 19:17:46 PST 2015

James,

I’m not sure what you mean by “an ethical issue.”  That is not what I’m talking about, rather what drove Durrell to alcoholism.  The cause is what interests me.  On the other hand, as a critic pointed out long ago, Durrell’s “toper” in Bitter Lemons is espoused as a big virtue.  (I'm relying on memory here and could have it wrong.”)  My understanding of British toper is that it refers to a “drunkard.”  Maybe the British sense also connotes being able to “hold one’s own.”  That is, a kind of “manliness.”  Drink in Hemingway is excess, to wit, Colonel Cantrell’s drinking problems in Across the River.  I don’t see any “self-censorship” involved, although the colonel’s heart disease may be mitigating factor.

Bruce