[ilds] Madness

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 16:18:33 PST 2015

As Richard rightly suggests, Lawrence Durrell may have been too much in tuned with the “madness” of modern civilization.  From the perspective of German literature, Romantic through Modern, Erich Heller has written about this in his Disinherited Mind (1959) and other works of criticism.  Friedrich Hölderlin had mental illness, and Nietzsche went mad (although probably due to syphilis).  As Lady Caroline Lamb said, Lord Byron was of course “mad, bad, and dangerous to know.”  Sappho Jane says pretty much the same thing about her father.  Who can read today’s newspapers and not conclude that our times are indeed “mad?”

Bruce