[ilds] Alcoholism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 09:18:34 PST 2015

In his latter years, alcoholism became a big problem for Durrell.  Read his memoir A Smile in the Mind’s Eye (1980) and you’ll see his own account of much alcohol he was consuming on a daily basis.  I seem to recall it was in excess of 2 1/2 bottles of wine a day.  Living "on the edge of madness” is Sappho Jane Durrell’s expression.  She also calls her father  a “demonic and aggressive drunkard” (Granta 37 [1991]) and says he used his liver “like a punching bag.”  I don’t recall alcohol becoming a fixture of Durrell’s writings until Bitter Lemons (1957), where I first learned the British term toper.  A critic at the time pointed out its prominent use.  Durrell and alcohol make me think of Lytton Strachey’s End of General Gordon (1918).  The general had two obsessions:  the Old Testament and the whiskey bottle.  He would periodically go off on his binges.  Strachey comments that “the true drunkenness lay elsewhere.”  “Elsewhere” was not a matter of religiosity, rather some undefined personal “demon.”  Same with Durrell, in my opinion.

Bruce