[ilds] Durrell's letter to British Governor of Cyprus

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:08:05 PDT 2015

Hi Bruce,

> I believe the list discussed before “The American Institute of
> International Relations,” mentioned in /Bitter Lemons,/

Indeed. They're interesting pieces.

> Where are those quotations from—Russian proposals and Muslim views?
>   It’s useful to keep in mind that Russia has had a long interest in the
> Eastern Mediterranean, at least as far back as Catherine the Great.  And
> now we have President Putin keeping up the tradition.

They're both in /From the Elephant's Back/ (again, heavily marked down
on Amazon for the Kindle ed., or I as I recently discovered, on Scribd
for users).

> Probably a whole conference could be devoted to Durrell on Cyprus.

That would be an outstanding event.  We'd hoped to have a conference on
Cyprus, but the logistics didn't work out, but there's always the
future...  Indeed, it would spirited discussion but hopefully very
productive.

All best,