[ilds] Durrell's letter to British Governor of Cyprus

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 25 12:20:26 PDT 2015

Yes, it will surely be an exciting talk.  And yes, Durrell wrote for different audiences and used different methods.

I believe the list discussed before “The American Institute of International Relations,” mentioned in Bitter Lemons, and someone (Richard Pine?) suggested the name was probably invented for fictional purposes, although Durrell claims elsewhere he wrote (anonymous? initialed?) articles of a political nature.

The fact he would do so is interesting, for that took away time from his poetry and fiction.  But he had a multi-faceted personality, and one facet was political, deeply involved in the complicated politics of the day.  It helps to be a genius.

Where are those quotations from—Russian proposals and Muslim views?  It’s useful to keep in mind that Russia has had a long interest in the Eastern Mediterranean, at least as far back as Catherine the Great.  And now we have President Putin keeping up the tradition.

Probably a whole conference could be devoted to Durrell on Cyprus.  Those are the crucial years in terms of his development and the political situation.  Moreover, as David Green points out, Bitter Lemons is simply a great book.  I think it’s underappreciated.

Bruce