[ilds] Durrell's letter to British Governor of Cyprus

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 10:00:36 PDT 2015

That will surely be an exciting talk!  And let's not forget the articles
Durrell mentions writing anonymous for an "American Institute of
International Relations" in /Bitter Lemons/...

One of the unspoken issues in Durrell's conflicted writings on Cyprus
was the larger Cold War context, which seeps through in his non-fiction
prose, such as his attention to the "Russian proposals" and the
importance of Muslim views.  As he rather delicately puts it for the
Turkish population, "they have shown a desire to be ruled by something a
little more liberal than the Greek-oriented administration. One can
respect their point of view, also, remembering that they are Moslems,
and that counts for something."

Which to my mind is to say, there are the things Durrell wrote for his
job, the things he wrote for his reading public, and then the other
things he nudges a reader to see he's aware of but not able to discuss
overtly for either aesthetic or political reasons -- I tend to think
such matters show up in a manner akin to Hemingway's theory of omission:
through juxtapositions, palpable aporia, and irony.

All best,
James