[ilds] Retirement Age during the British Raj

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 22 15:40:55 PDT 2015

although born in India, Durrell doesn't, to my knowledge write about the orient much at all. And by orient I mean India and Asia, not the Middle East or Egypt. Said, I imagine, disliked Durrell's comments about Egypt and possibly his lack of academic credentials. Others find Durrell's portrayal of Greeks as patronising, comic characters or stock in trade figures. Although he is critical of the colonial administration on Cyprus, one can argue that Durrell sometimes sees the world through a privileged western lens, coloured with a colonial tinge. Certainly he was seen as an imperialists on Cyprus.

David

Sent from my iPad