[ilds] Louisville 2016: Modern Myth and Legend

James Clawson clawson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:02:50 PDT 2015

Hello, everyone-

Please see, attached and below, the Call for Papers for the ILDS-sponsored
panel at the 2016 Louisville conference. The conference organizers in
Louisville have moved the due date up from previous years, so it may seem
like we're asking for proposals earlier than expected (September 2nd). Be
aware of the timing, and think about what you may like to present. I look
forward to seeing folks there!

Best,

James Clawson

--

Modern Myth and Legend

The Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture Since 1900

http://www.thelouisvilleconference.com

Louisville, KY | 18-20 February 2016

"we do create the world around us since we get it to reflect back our inner
symbolism at us. Every man carries a little myth-making machine inside him
which operates often without him knowing it. Thus you might say that we
live by a very exacting kind of poetic logic -- since we get exactly what
we ask for, no more and no less." (Durrell, The Dark Labyrinth)

Dealing overtly with ideas of myth and legend, Lawrence Durrell's The Dark
Labyrinth chronicles the adventures of British tourists exploring a cave
system on Crete just after World War II. Despite their awareness of how
reality is transformed by their individual experiences, beliefs, and
myth-making, they are no less susceptible to the fear of the minotaur which
might be chasing them through the dark passageways. A myth becomes the way
we understand the world. As a legend, the monster and its labyrinth offer
grounds to reflect on personal terrors and emerge triumphant -- or be
consumed.

In anticipation of our upcoming conference on Crete, the International
Lawrence Durrell Society calls for papers addressing the broad theme of
Modern Myth and Legend for a society-sponsored session of the 2016
Louisville Conference. We welcome proposals on aspects of Durrell's writing
or other topics addressing the theme. Some possible topics include the
following:

- W. B. Yeats's esoteric blending of Greek, Irish, and other mythologies

- Refigured legends in the aftermath of T.S. Eliot's "Ulysses, Order, and
Myth," including Iris Murdoch's The Green Night or John Gardner's Grendel

- Frazer's The Golden Bough and its impact on modernist literature

- Fantasy repurposing legend, as in Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series

- Mythologizing the 20th century in film, including for example Guillermo
del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth or Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away

- Legendary societies, urban legends, apocrypha, and literary mysteries

- Symbolic use of tall tales, or the literary adapting of Bigfoot,
werewolves, vampires, minotaurs, homunculi, gorgons, witches, griffins,
manticores, giants, etc.

Please send a 250-word abstract to James Clawson (clawsonj at gram.edu),
International Lawrence Durrell Society, by Sept. 2, 2015. Final
presentations should be limited to 20 minutes in length.