[ilds] The correct pronounciation

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 17 09:17:57 PDT 2015

One syllable.  IPA is something like phonetic [dǝrl] or phonemic /durl/.  Tricky part is the vowel, which is dark, close to the [ǝr] in bird, or, as James says, squirrel.  The vowel is not [u], as in [du’rel].  I’ve often wondered the origin of this pronunciation.  It must be some British dialect.

Bruce