[ilds] book DISARMING WORDS query

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:30:07 PDT 2015

Hello all,

I just saw this in a review of Shaden M. Tageldin's /DISARMING WORDS:
EMPIRE AND THE SEDUCTIONS OF TRANSLATION IN EGYPT/ U California P, 2011.

"Other chapters in this work pursue Tageldin’s interpretation of authors
such as Carlyle, tracing the influence of his On Heroes (and Carlyle’s
reading of Mohammed) on the influential translator Mohammed Al-Sibai,
and Lawrence Durrell, engaging a more contemporary discussion of the
notion of seduction through the main female character in his 1958 novel
Montolive (one of the works making up the Alexandria Quartet) interwoven
with a reading of John Ruskin."

I wonder if anyone has seen this book?  It makes me ponder if Anne
Zahlan gets a citation where on is due...

All best,