[ilds] Here’s a Durrellian moment in “Grace”

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 30 06:19:19 PDT 2015

Ken, thanks.  Here’s a note on “quinx,” as provided by J. W. Jackson and B. McGinley in their annotated edition to Dubliners (London 1993):  “An arrangement of four points equidistant from a central point, often (though not always) drawn with a circle linking the outer four.  In Christian iconography it symbolizes the five main wounds of the crucified Christ.  Seen as a cross within a circle drawn from the centre point, the quinx is the grouping of the courageous in Dante’s Fifth Heaven (Paradiso XIV.100-2)” (p. 153).

All these comments are highly relevant to Joyce (the scene occurs in a church) but probably not to Durrell (unless deliberately ironic).  Then again, we’ve talked about Durrell being a religious writer.  Maybe he’s co-opting Christian iconography.

Bruce