[ilds] Durrell's library

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:24:31 PDT 2015

Hi Bruce,

Alas, what I've seen of the Revolt revisions included things such as
"fix this" and then a series of markings...  Some of it's quite unclear,
but the extent of the revisions to the Quartet is a good indicator.

As for the Elizabethans, I believe virtually all of that material is in
Carbondale.  From my editing work, I can say his allusions and
references to his "Elizas" was extensive.  A read through "Prospero's
Isle: To Caliban" (1939, originally published in Shanghai) gives an
immediate sense of how capacious his readings were, including a number
of scholarly works -- /Panic Spring/ was also particularly rich in
references to a range of Elizabethan dramatists.

Best,
James