[ilds] Melissa Artemis

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri May 8 10:25:02 PDT 2015

David and Sumantra,

My theory, which is in no way original, is that Justine and Clea are based primarily on real prototypes (Eve Cohen and Claude-Marie Vincendon) but that Melissa is fictional, or shall we say, a “projection” or “screen” in the Freudian sense.  Eve and Claude get dedications (Justine and Mountolive), Melissa gets poems and a burial in the “tepid sand of the black estuary” (Justine).  I’m tempted to say Melissa represents the kind of woman Durrell would like to have as a “helpmeet” (loving and pliant) but also the type he tends to abuse physically and mentally.  Nancy Myers, wife no. 1, is a kind of “Melissa.”  Of course, none of these fictional characters correspond exactly to actual people.  The Justine/Eve correspondence seems obvious, but as Ray Morrison once remarked, Eve Cohen Durrell, whom he met, was not the type of person to have a copy of Schopenhauer on her reading shelves, as Justine does.

Bruce