[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 97, Issue 6

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 7 15:50:16 PDT 2015

Sumantra,

perhaps, in fact, Durrell cared more for Melissa and Clea than for Justine. If poetry is the higher form, Justine only makes prose.
maybe the poems on Justine have been lost. What is your theory?
By the way, I enjoy Durrell's poetry, much of it, especially his visceral responses to landscape/place. I get a bit lost in all the classical allusion stuff.
Durrell likes to see people organically attached to both landscape and history, the rind of the ear goes much further than Melissa's brain. the small forevers go back in time
to ancient times and the sea edge where Anthony and Cleopatra walked.

David Whitewine
16 William Street
Marrickville NSW 2204
+61 2 9564 6165