[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 97, Issue 6

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:24:04 PDT 2015

BY THE LAKE

'How many several small forevers
Whispered in the rind of the ear
Melissa, by this Mediterranean sea-edge,
Captured and told?
How many additions to the total silence?'

I know the ILDS discussion forum is not prone to discussing Durrell's
poetry in terms of detailed context.

But lines such as these from his poetry surely have an organic link with
the Alexandria Quartet, and attempts to address these lines might be
rewarding in its own way.

Durrell has mentioned Melissa more than once in his poems and Clea at least
once,  but never Justine.

Sumantra

Sent from my Samsung Tab