[ilds] Youth Movement

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu May 7 08:27:19 PDT 2015

William Apt makes a good point about current preferences.  Henry Miller says similar things.  Years ago I read someone who speculated that the best minds of the 20th century were going into the sciences, particularly physics and mathematics, hence the breakthroughs in relativity theory and quantum mechanics.  Philosophy is another such area which attracts the “best minds” (Ginsberg’s term in “Howl”), and the current debate in the philosophy of the mind has deep discussions on the nature of consciousness itself.  T. S. Eliot started off by studying philosophy at Harvard; Thomas Pynchon began by studying engineering physics at Cornell.  Although both ended up in literature, their original impulse was philosophical and scientific.  Nowadays, as William points out, materialism in the crudest sense seems to have taken over as the main impetus for personal development.  It seems unlikely that the great literature of the High and Low Moderns will repeat itself in some other form.

Bruce