[ilds] Youth Movement

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 6 14:47:01 PDT 2015

Writers used to be big news in the pre and early television age. My dad
remembers people like Brendan Behan and Dylan Thomas making head lines and
Hemmingway too. That's not the case now. I mainly hear about writers and
books on the Public Radio i.e. the ABC or in Arts sections of SOME weekend
papers such as the Sydney Morning Herald, the Age or the Australian.
Otherwise it is all about politicians, terrorists, the rich and fatuous
(very few writers) sport and business. Corporatisation and the destruction
of people into market segments is insidious and pervasive and education is
no different. I see little attention to critical thinking, but a lot on
producing a certain 'type' of person. watch out for Global Standard Person.
Durrell and Miller would turn in their respective graves. Maybe the writers
need to be more outrageous like Houllebecq or go on Barnstorming benders
like Behan and Thomas. When I writers interviewed these days, they all sound
so nice and tame and modest and look way too fit. Where  are the chain
smoking booze artists with vast egos and libidos. where is Anais Nin?
maybe they are out there, hiding their light under a bushel. Perhaps medical
science can bring Ernest back to life?

David
16 William Street
Marrickville NSW 2204