[ilds] Re all gone mainstream?

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:13:33 PDT 2015

I'd add a significant proviso, that is, if the comparison is to the kind
of correspondence and small periodical networks I go through in
/Personal Modernisms/.  How many of us active subscribe to periodicals
with a distribution of under 200?  Small audiences mean less risk for
experimentation -- bigger audiences, with bigger investments and
potential payoffs, encourage less risk taking, I believe.

I think we'd need to look to student publications, small literary
magazines with a very limited distribution, and those eschewing
commercial distribution for an aesthetic ambition.  While presses and
committees, etc., all exert limitations on writers today, I do see
plenty of experimental work -- I just don't seem them on bookstore
shelves...

By the same gesture, there are small presses producing beautiful work
for collectors, since the expense is high.  The Barbarian Press is one
instance here in BC, as is Greenboathouse Press.  I'd venture to guess
no one on the list has ever heard of them.  The small press scene in
Buffalo, NY, also seemed very much alive when I've made visits there.

Who would have thought, at the time, that someone 80 years or more down
the road would be reading student poetry journals from Oxford or
Cambridge?  Durrell and Miller both expressed surprise at the later
resale value of The Booster & Delta...

All best,
James