[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 97, Issue 3_ Gifford's "Late Modernism's Migrations"

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:10:37 PDT 2015

Most interesting discussion on the generational change in the space
occupied by art - if I may try to put it in such a small nutshell.

I have often thought about the following lines from Lawrence Durrell's poem
Conon in Alexandria:

. . . .
Of a man 'engaged in bitterly waiting
For the day when art should become unnecessary',
. . . .

Does art indeed become unnecessary in a certain environment or does it
merely take a form which is not recognised as art by an older generation?

Has this perception of art - in a familiar form - fading into irrelevance
not arisen during times of transforming social changes in human history?

Sumantra

Sent from my Samsung Tab