[ilds] Durrell the moviegoer

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 26 16:32:30 PDT 2015

Many thanks, James.  I think a lot can be done with Durrell and the influence of film on his work and life.  Digging further into MacNiven (apologies for misspelling Ian’s name before), I find that Durrell was on the board of judges for the Cannes Film Festival in 1973, that he had “an interest in film,” and that he knew the beautiful Swedish actress Mai Zetterling (pp. 516, 600-01), who played Byron’s Venetian mistress in The Bad Lord Byron (1948).  Interesting, no?  Specifically, I’m intrigued by the possible influence of Michael Powell’s Black Narcissus (1946), which was based on Rumer Godden’s novel of the same name (1939).  There are a lot of coincidences between the film and Durrell’s life and interests.  I see similarities in Powell’s and Durrell’s imaginative gifts.

Bruce