[ilds] Durrell the moviegoer

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 15:33:23 PDT 2015

Hi Bruce,

I suppose the plain answer is that we don't know how often, but he
certainly did see films.  He complained about television, and so far as
I know didn't have or didn't particularly use one.

Susan MacNiven also wrote a note on Durrell and film in /Deus Loci/:

MacNiven, Susan S. “A Matinee Idyll?” /Deus Loci: The Lawrence Durrell
Journal/ NS 2 (1993): 163–64.

There's also Durrell's own film script for Cleopatra, which eventually
became the Elizabeth Taylor feature.  I think his script is unfilmable
but fascinating.  He notes other possible film ideas and film treatments
in his mss. and a number of times refers to filmic notions for fiction
(Pursewarden's "being over and over again fast enough to seem like a
personality" comes to mind [paraphrased] and also references to "cuts"
like film).

That's about all I've got!

Best,
James