[ilds] Arabic translation of Alexandria Quartet

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:12:33 PDT 2015

Alas, I don't have the language skills to find out, but perhaps someone
on the list will?

The hostility seems entirely understandable given the depictions, but at
the same time, and as I point out in /Personal Moderisms/, Durrell was
the person who sent Albert Cossery's first book /Men God Forgot/ to
America for publication and helped him financially.  I also just
discovered that (and am waiting for a copy) Durrell wrote a tribute to
Georges Henein (in French) after lamenting not being able to publish him
in /Personal Landscape/.  There may be more complexity afoot than has
seemed obvious.

Best
James