[ilds] Attn: James Gifford

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:48:18 PST 2015

Hello all,

I received a missive over the telegraph from Tennessee that might solve
this riddle...  As was also tapped out over the line, this passage is of
course qualified by "It wasn't true, and he knew it," and there's the
ever so lovely "this needs a new paragraph."  Which is to say, I keep my
tongue in my cheek even just reading it!

I hope this solves the riddle.

All best,
James

----->
A clipping from the Home Office:

"He told himself that Thrush had a vicious, thirsty little French face;
but it wasn¹t true and he knew it. He felt as if his brains had cooled
and dripped into his socks. He could have written an ode called "A
Castrate's Tears beneath the Shears" -- but the tone was wrong and he
delegated this to Sutcliffe who would come along in good time with his
own brand of snivel. And then, on top of it all, to be unfair to poor
Paris which all of a sudden became loathsome to him. He noticed now the
dirty hair, cheaply dyed, and never kept up from meanness ­-- so many
brassy blondes with black partings. And in August the refusal to shave
armpits. The town smelt like one large smoking armpit. Acrid as the
lather of dancers. And then the selection of sexual provender ­
perversions worthy of wood-lice. Well, he had come there for infamy in
the first place, so what the hell had he got to complain about? He would
die, like Sutcliffe, in the arms of some lesbian drum-major, dreaming
nostalgically of hot buttered toast between normal thigh and thigh.
Indeed he would go further and become a Catholic and enact the funky
deathbed scene ­ the spider on the ceiling and the shadow of a priest
and a notary. It wouldn't do, said the voice of Constance, and he knew
that it wouldn't. Eheu!" (Livia 71-72)