[ilds] Editing

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:42:45 PST 2015

Hi Bruce,

I can comment on this from a few perspectives.

First, there are presses that largely "process manuscripts" as you say,
rather than editor or nurture them, but even in that there are
divisions.  Some push for a large number of acquisitions and "prey" on
junior scholars who may not be familiar with the process -- after a
conference nowadays, there will often follow emails from publishers
asking for the papers and/or a book.  The same for announcements of MA
thesis or PhD dissertation defenses.

Edwin Mellen sued a librarian and McMaster University (which, btw, has a
lovely set of Durrell mss. and tss.) when it was described as predatory.
  My understanding is that this suit was later dropped -- Edwin Mellen
publishes more than 300 new books each year.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/edwin-mellen-press-drops-lawsuit-against-university-librarian/42647

This isn't simply a matter of cutting the expensive editorial staff.  It
can also reflect the market to which a press is oriented and
consequently the kind of product is strives to create.  Those driven
exclusively to the library market tend to have higher prices and less
editing since the impulse is to get on a shelf, not to be taken off that
shelf again...  Textbooks might have more investment, but likely not by
subject matter experts at the press.

That said, even inside some of the best publishers, there can often be
"tiers" of service.  I edit the annual "American Literature post-1900"
chapter of Oxford UP's /Year's Work in English Studies/, for which we
have thorough copy editing, two levels of paid editorial reading, and
paid contributors.  The project is professionally indexed by OUP
(authors are not invited to do this themselves) and it really is a
"luxury" product in today's age of academic publishing.  However, I
don't think it would be realistic to say all journals or books have the
same level of support inside the same press.

One of the reasons I went with U Alberta Press for the /Personal
Modernisms/ and /From the Elephant's Back/ books is the level of
editorial support and the quality of their design work (entirely aside
from knowing and liking the staff at the press).  They also produce
books at reasonable prices, all things considered, so they're actually
meant to *sell* (a rarity for today's academic publishing).

My own university's press, FDU Press, which has published much Durrell
materials, was through Associated University Presses and is now with
Rowman & Littlefield, which means distribution and a good deal of
production is external (also keeps down costs for the university but
puts it a bit more toward the library market).  The quality there is
in-house editing and the peer-review integrity, but the internal layout
and design is fairly fixed for each title.

For your Wiley-Blackwell example, it's classified as a textbook, so
apart from copy editing, I'd guess they left facts and dates to the
translator!  Worth noting, it's also a print on demand title, which is
increasingly common for Wiley, Oxford, and Cambridge for their back
stock (and has been the case for U California P for quite a while now).

A few dozen or more books go across my desk every year for /Year's Work/
reviews, and the range of production and editorial standards is remarkable.

All best,
James