[ilds] Michael V. Diboll

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 1 14:59:35 PST 2015

James,

Yes, I recall Haag and Diboll (along with Pine) getting into a row over the Wafd and its use as “allegory” in the Quartet.  My memory is sketchy, probably inaccurate, but if I may put forth — where Diboll sees an allegorical connection between the Wafd and the Hosnani family, Haag sees the Coptic Hosnanis as a screen for the wealthy Jews of Alexandria, namely, the Menasce family, via the Claude Vincendon link.  But now that I’ve read Diboll, I think he’s made a very strong case for his own analysis.  Haag will have to counter or adjust his argument, in my opinion.

Diboll’s book, however, sorely needs a good editor.  It’s always dangerous to rely solely on one’s own judgments.  I believe Haag credits Claude as Durrell editor.  After her death, his work suffered from not having her expert attention.

Bruce