[ilds] Durrell's "Axial Age"

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 11 14:41:43 PDT 2014

David,

Yes to all this.  Well said.  I agree with Haag's idea about Durrell and exile.  "Loss" or displacement is just another to say the same thing.  Too reductive, as critics are sure to say?  Well, I don't think there are many great themes in life and literature.  Great poets and writers know how to stick to the basics.  Durrell knew he couldn't return permanently to Corfu.  On this return theme or "return song," as critics call it, Kazantzakis knew his Odysseus couldn't possibly stay in Ithaka.  On some blurb, Durrell calls The Odyssey:  A Modern Sequel "inimitable."  So he undoubtedly agreed.

Bruce