[ilds] Durrell's "Axial Age"

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 11 13:44:53 PDT 2014

What Durrell lost was the Eden of pre war Corfu. He tried to recapture it in writing and this where the best of island books come from. World War Two did and an era so what Durrell captures in the Quartet is a vanishing world. He also lost 4 wives and a daughter. He lost Greece as he knew and loved it; wrecked by the enosis experience on Cyprus. France was never quite as good. He also lost his health. If you look at when Quintet was written, he was dealing with a lifetime of collated loss. Loss is a common literary theme. Haag claims that Durrell's great theme is exile. The two are pretty closely related. Why did Larry never go back to live on Corfu, I have often wondered. Perhaps the magic had gone.

David

Sent from my iPad