[ilds] Is D Durrell?

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:24:41 PDT 2014

Brief note:

MacNiven lists "Count D." as a composite character, with Dr. Constantine
Palatiano as the main inspiration (as reported by Stephanides).  Also,
Eleftheria in the epilogue is Elie Papadimitriou, whom Durrell was
publishing and boosting in Egypt.

As for expecting truthiness, Colbert told me to rewrite the Wiki on
/PC/, so perhaps we can rely on tertiary sources to set us all straight
on this one.  When I add Prospero's rough magic to Durrell's refracting
dark crystal, I leave behind expectations of "truth is what is truth?"

I was struck while reading a book recently on fantasy fiction. The
author argues that the defining generic trait of fantasy is that it
presents a world that is not real, that is fantastical, hence requiring
the reader to set aside expectations of reality or truth -- I'd always
thought that was more general to fiction overall, and perhaps most
creative non-fiction as well, and even a great deal of what I keep on my
history shelf {he quietly whispers 'religion' here}.

Then again, I just finished teaching Lovecraft's /The Call of Cthulhu/,
which has clay tablets, messages, documentary evidence, and even
quotations from anthropological articles, and yet it still appears to be
untrue.  Maybe Lovecraft wasn't just an awful racist (in fascinating
ways to teach) but could even have been a liar when he wrote.  That
would indeed be the straw that broke this camel's back...

All best,
Jamie