[ilds] The Index to Prospero's Cell

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:09:04 PDT 2014

Bruce, to me this is great stuff! It raises so many interesting issues. But
again, the knives are out. What is the obligation of the author, in
relation to his reader? As you said in your previous post, “Durrell is
obviously the author of his own book and is obviously and ultimately
responsible for everything that goes in it.” As he puts pen to paper, then
follows up with his editor, then ultimately publishes a book with his name
on it – what exactly is his obligation to you, Bruce Redwine, “at the age
of 19 and green as one can get”? Does he have to hold your hand? Does he
have to tell you the truth? What is truth? If you were a member of Oprah’s
Book Club, and She put her imprimatur on Prospero’s Cell, and helped
publish it to her fan club as a memoir – and then it turned out to be
literature of some hybrid variety…or maybe let’s just leave it at
literature…you might actually be eligible for some class action cash
reward! Thank God that’s not the case – because as you may be able to tell,
I am getting angry typing this!

The worst, and most ridiculous thing, you have to say is this: “…for
marketing purposes, to capitalize on an anticipated market of Brits
traveling to the Mediterranean after WWII.” We all know what England was
like after the war – for a decade or more. Please. That’s utter rot. Give
us a break.

Thanks - Ken