[ilds] The Index to Prospero's Cell

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 11:05:56 PDT 2014

James, well taken.  Durrell may have written Prospero's Cell in the context of a genre of travel literature, Robert Byron's Road to Oxiana (1937) being the chief example.  Now we have Patrick Leigh Fermor, Durrell's close friend, being called the greatest British travel writer of the 20th century.  Paul Fussell has a good book on the subject, Abroad:  British Literary Traveling Between the Wars (1980).  Fussell distinguishes between guidebooks and travel literature, the former he says, "are not autobiographical and are not sustained by a narrative exploiting the devices of fiction" (203).  Prospero's Cell straddles both categories.  Its subtitle proclaims itself a guidebook (A Guide to the Landscape and Manners of the Island of Corcyra), but its narrative is autobiographical and takes the form of a writer's diary with dates.  Durrell wants it both ways:  non-fiction and fiction.  Durrell's reader, however, me for example at the age of 19 and green as one can get, would have problems figuring out what was going on and would naturally assume that Durrell was writing about his personal experiences — i.e., he was reporting fact.  Which, as we now know, was only occasionally true.  So my main point is that the readership of 1945 would probably has taken Prospero's Cell as a guidebook reported by the actual, personal experiences of a writer living on the island.  I doubt that readers would have assumed the book was an exercise in a new literary form.

Why did Durrell want it both ways?  One, proabably for marketing purposes, to capitalize on an anticipated market of Brits traveling to the Mediterranean after WWII.  Two, he was also nostalgic about Corfu, as he sat in his Ambron tower in Alexandria ("I loathed Egypt") and looked longingly towards Greece.

About N., I would say she gets treated badly in Prospero's Cell.  She's really just a very dim shadow in the story but one whose inheritance, if I recall correctly, pays for Durrell's adventure.  Ignoring her in the Index illustrates Durrell's feelings about his first wife.  I recall what Penelope Durrell Hope said at the Durrell Celebration in Alexandria (2007).  After her mother read PC, she said it was "all lies."  That sounds like proof of the punch line to the joke about a shepherd and his sheep — that is, it is better to have a mute sheep than a woman who "talk[s]" or talks back.

Bruce