[ilds] The Index to Prospero's Cell

Kennedy Gammage gammage.kennedy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:36:21 PDT 2014

James – just read your post and agree with it: interesting and eloquent as
always. However, I still feel compelled to share the following:

“Knives out! I think this is a great topic – and Bruce & I are in violent
agreement about some of his assertions, but I have at least one quibble,
and also a new controversial theory to share. My first quibble is calling
PC (and by extension MV and BL) “travel books.” Obviously Sicilian Carousel
is a travel book, describing a short duration vacation trip. The Greek
Islands is more of a guidebook, though it would also be found in the Travel
section of the bookstore. But the other three (or let’s make it four with
CVG) – no, these are not remotely travel books as I would categorize them.

Here’s a second quibble: does the inclusion of an index really make ‘the
narrative seem factual’? As you say, N. is not in the index – and neither
are cherries: one of the most memorable (and as you say, poetic and
allegedly non-factual) incidents in the book. It seems to me that almost
any book could have an index if the author or editor wants to go to the
trouble. Many fiction books include a list of Dramatis personae, which is
similar…

OK – are you ready for my theory? Bruce and I agree that Count D. is
probably a stand-in for Durrell, just as ‘Old D, the Devil at Large’ is in
the Avignon Quintet. This belief is contradicted by Durrell’s dedication to
PC, where he asserts that the Count D. is one of the four ‘real people’ in
the book. Either he’s lying about that, which is also called fiction – but
really, who else dedicates a book (at least in part) to himself! Or else
Bruce & I are mistaken. Or, a third option…

Let’s follow the Index to ‘the retreat of Count D.’ on page 69 (ha!) – and
read the description: “The old Count, a man of about sixty, was stocky and
heavily built; he possessed a pair of remarkable eyes set in a head which
was a little too big for his body.” More: “Comfortably off, fond of his
cellar and his immense library, he is content to spend summer and winter
beyond the limited range of town amusements and gossip.” Guess what: the
Count D. is Durrell’s future self! He’s like a time traveler, visiting the
33 year old skinny young author. Not an alter ego – not a lie. As Durrell
stated in the famous NOTE in Balthazar: a ‘science-fiction.’ What do you
think of that?”

Cheers - Ken