[ilds] The Index to Prospero's Cell

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 09:48:32 PDT 2014

I am remembering with much fondness a visit to Freddie's in Louisville,
which is an experience I recommend to all on the list for a companion
piece to the 2015 Durrell Society panels in the February conference on
20th Century Literature and Culture...  It's conveniently adjacent to
the voluptuous Brown Hotel and provides its own voluptuaries.

Charles Sligh and I had a very generous gin & tonic while chatting
through the archival traces of memory Old D uses so much.  In fact, we
chatted about this very book and matter, though I think it was a bit
mixed up with other travel writers of the Fermour, Byron, & Douglas
types.  Charles was a bit pointed in his remarks, which is unlike the
man, so I kept it in mind and think I can represent his views faithfully.

Prospero's Cell would make much more sense if one reads the book from
within the context of High Travel writing; Durrell is making his own
innovations upon the styles of Douglas, Byron, &c., and readers of those
authors always understood that gentleman travelers do not tell
everything and change names and events and make minimal mention of
companions; yes, a certain literacy matters in this elite sort of writing.

I also remember him saying, and I'm pretty sure I've got this near word
for word, one should also look at the front matter for the 1945 printing
of PC -- if I recall correctly, LD mentions that Miss Yvette Cohen
helped with the typing -- the reduction of Nancy to N. and a smaller
role is partly understandable when we keep that production reality at
the fore.

I shared with him years ago my transcripts from the Gennadius Library as
well, which includes some risque limericks, which Seferis had been
writing and Durrell had been expanding.  He also had five unpublished
mss. by Stephanides to sort through, perhaps verbatim.

Personally, I've always taken Durrell's oft-repeated phrase,
"Pursewarden wrote somewhere..." or "I remember Stephanides once
saying..." as really meaning "I'm pinching this bit."  If not pinching,
I'm inclined to read those phrases as meaning "I'm completely
fabricating something impossible here, so I'll give it a quick brush up
of the ol' Victorian 'oops, I found a tablet with evidence on it' trick
to lend just the hint of reality to fiction..."

And let's not forget that Gerald's /My Family and Other Animals/ erases
Nancy entirely.  At least Durrell was open about the fictional nature of
the "diary" dating of /PC/.

Cheers,
James