[ilds] Bisexual Love

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 10:21:35 PDT 2014

Hi Bruce,

It's confirmed.  There's a ts. variant of the note in Victoria, and
Charles Sligh has confirmed the "bisexual love" phrase for the note to
Balthazar from the British Library holdings (I'll check this with him
case it was actually Carbondale...  I could be mistaken).

I've tried to publish on this, but peer review brought out some
squeamish readers.  That's not unusual in work on Durrell.

It's worth noting how pervasive the discussion of bisexuality is in
Durrell's works. It's there in /Pied Piper of Lovers/, and the character
Pamela is based on a bisexual friend of Durrell's, and it's there right
through the Avignon Quintet.

As for the ILDS listserv, indeed the Google search function is handy!  I
use it regularly, and tracking shows it gets a great deal of use
generally as well!

All best,
James