[ilds] The Cretan Connection

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 11:28:15 PDT 2014

"Why stir the dying beast?"

Very good point.  The Wehrmacht's brutal policy of retaliation was well known.  Did Moss and Leigh Fermor's "derring-do" really accomplish little but add to their fame and cause the deaths of countless citizens of Crete?  Probably.  But can you imagine what the Germans would have done to the Brit commandos had they been captured?  The Greek government made PLF an honorary citizen of Heraklion, Kardamyli, and Gytheio (Wikipedia), so some Greeks, at least, held his valiant exploits in high regard.  On the other side of this discussion is the Brit John Pendlebury, soldier and archaeologist, who was executed on Crete, as he fought alongside Cretan irregulars during the German invasion of the island.  Re Lawrence Durrell, look at The Dark Labyrinth and Baird's guilt (if I recall correctly) for killing a German soldier.  Seems to me Durrell had a far greater appreciation of the complexities and moral ambiguities of war than Leigh Fermor demonstrated in some of his books (i.e., the ones I've read).  I don't think Durrell would ever say, "War is war."  Or, "C'est la guerre."  Of course, Durrell was not a soldier, so his voice is muted.  By the way, The Dark Labyrinth is a highly underrated book, in my opinion.

Bruce